Do you travel as part of your job and bring a laptop computer with you? Or do your workers take a laptop along on the job? In either case, care has to be taken regarding where the devices are operated.
A 56-year-old man died in a fire after his laptop computer overheated. The death has prompted the BC Coroners Service to issue a warning about operating the devices on soft surfaces such as sofas or beds.
The service notes that several laptop manufacturers have issued recall notices after lithium-ion batteries used to power the units overheated. The coroners office and the BC Office of the Fire Commissioner have issued several safety tips for laptop operation, which you should share with your workers.
For safe laptop operation:
Place the device on a hard surface that allows plenty of air circulation to prevent overheating. Use an optional heat-sink base if a hard surface isn’t available. Always shut the laptop down for short periods to allow it to cool down. This is especially important before placing it into a carry bag. Inspect and clean the machine’s air vents regularly. Refer to the manufacturer’s website for additional safety tips and maintenance recommendations.